Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Where Would You Go If You Could Go Anywhere You Wanted


I have been homeschooling for going on 26 years now this coming school year.  I have always wanted to go out of the country somewhere, but to be honest, embarrassingly, after a bad experience as a child at about the age of 7, on a friend’s small plane; I have been truly terrified to fly anywhere, on any plane, especially across the world!!  This was until October or November of last year, 2016.  I got into contact with my sister in Africa again.  We had moved and lost connection with each other for a while, after changing cable companies and so forth.   Then we connected again, and picked up our relationship as though it had been just yesterday.  Then suddenly, God started putting on my heart that I should go there to spend time with them, and the Holy Spirit kept prompting and prompting me to go.  However, I kept hearing in the back of my mind that song by Scott Wesley Brown that says, “Please don’t send me to Africa, I don’t think I’ve got what it takes.  Please don’t send me to Africa where there’s lions, gorillas and snakes…”   But the more I heard the Holy Spirit, the more I relaxed and became at ease with the idea of flying.  My family and friends thought that I was crazy, that “Mom (Kelly) will never fly anywhere!!  Just wait and see!”  I won’t lie to you and say that I didn’t debate turning around at the gate at the airport and deciding not to go, but I prayed continually for the “peace that passes all understanding” that only God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit can give, and I stepped into the gate and down the ramp.  I found my seat, and began to pray and relax.  The initial takeoff and landing of the plane did make me somewhat apprehensive at first, but I got used to it after five flights to get there and six flights home.


However, after raising 9 children, only having two in the nest still, ages 13 & 16, & our 6-year-old granddaughter, who we have had guardianship of since her birth, I felt that things would run smoothly with an older son here in town, and an older daughter 15 minutes away, and of course their dad is at work during the days and home every evening, that God had opened this door for me.  I knew that I had to follow what the Holy Spirit was telling ME, and go half way across the world to Uganda, East Africa, and help with the orphanage and school in their village there.  What an AWESOME experience!!  I got to see what life is like in a 3rd world country.  The poverty, hunger, lack of clothing, lack of being allowed schooling as the government public schools cost so much a month, that once in high school, they cannot afford to go to school because it’s a choice of starvation or school.  Yet, they have unconditional love for one another, and for extended family, and amazingly well behaved obedient children, and great love of Christ!  I can honestly say, I can’t wait to go back next summer!!                                     
                                              
My sister (Watulo), myself, and Rev. Fredrick

Rice, beans & cooked bananas, & Passion Fruit Juice



For a non-profit charitable donation, go to:
www.dosii.org  God's Hands Daycare
(Reference - godshandsdaycare.blogspot.com)







                 

No comments:

Post a Comment